struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Gibbons" <jonathan.gibb...@db.com>
Subject Re: J2EE BluePrints and Struts
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:43:01 GMT

FYI, the LowRoad has support for paging within all lookup functions which extends through
to struts as well.  All the code is generated for you.
    http://www.faraway.co.uk/tallsoft/lowroad/

You should download the struts example, if nothing else it provides a great learning tool
for struts/EJB etc.

End of shameless plug.

Jonathan

---------------------------------------- Message History ----------------------------------------

From: SIROLLI PIERRE <Pierre.Sirolli@renaultvi.com> on 05/02/2002 16:05 CET

To:   husted@apache.org
cc:   struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject:  Re: J2EE BluePrints and Struts

--- Reçu de       RVIDOI.SIROLLPI 62607                      05/02/02 16.05

Please find attached an UML representation of the implementation of the page
by page iterator.
It provides places  where you can plug into the model (execute(),
fetchsize)and the rest (eg the utility layer "movecursor,size.." ) is left to
the implementation.

Pierre

Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:58:37 -0500

Oleg had a pager as part of his BeanFactory, but that was never made
part of the framework. Perhaps he will get back to that after the
ServiceManager work (Go Oleg!).

Generally, these type of model-centric patterns do not need be a part of
the core framework. The framework provides places where you can plug
into the model (Actions). And ways to pass control back and forth
between the View (struts-config elements). But the implementation of
something like paging is an excercise left to the developer.

A patterns-based approach to paging might be something I would put into
the optional Scaffold package, which has a number of
implementation-pattern type classes.

SIROLLI PIERRE wrote:

> --- Reçu de       RVIDOI.SIROLLPI 62607                      05/02/02 09.26
>
> Ted,
>
> I wrote an implementation of the page by page iterator J2EE design pattern.
> Is this pattern already implemented in Struts ?
>
> Pierre

> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 06:07:20 -0500
> Subject: Re: J2EE BluePrints and Struts
>
> This type of message can also be posted to the USER list, since it does
> not involve the present or future development of Struts.
>
> But anyway, the Blueprints are just that -- plans. Struts implements
> many of the patterns and strategies described in the BluePrints and in
> Core J2EE Patterns
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0130648841/hitchhikeguidetoA/
>
> But was doing so before each of these were released, based on prior
> patterns literature. In fact, Struts code was used as the example
> implementation for Synchronizer Token strategy.
>
> Working from the Core J2EE Patterns terminology, Struts employs a number
> of cataloged patterns, including
>
> Service to Worker (ActionServlet, Action classes, ContextHelper),
> Front Controller, Singleton (ActionServlet),
> Dispatcher, View Helper, Session Facade, Singleton (Action classes),
> Value Objects (ActionForm, ActionErrors),
> View Helper (ActionForm, ContextHelper, tag extensions),
> Composite View (Template and Tiles taglibs),
> Synchronizer Token (Action class methods).

> -- Java Web Development with Struts.
> -- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
> -- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/
>
> Suresh_Babu@CMR.Satyam.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to this framework and to this list. Can anybody tell me how this
> > framework differs from the Sun's framework J2EE BluePrints ?
> > What is the strength of the framework when compared to the BluePrints?
> >
> > If there are any articles available, please let me know.

> ---- 05/02/02 09.26 ---- Envoyé à      -------------------------------------
>   -> husted(a)apache.org
>   -> struts-dev(a)jakarta.apache.org

-- Java Web Development with Struts.