struts-user mailing list archives

From theron.kou...@webmd.net
Subject Re: Request scope question again...
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:57:30 GMT

Hi Dave:

thanks so much.   This is helping.   I "think" I know the answer to this
question but can you verify this with me:

- Based on what you said:
> Request scope changes when the browser makes a request of the server.

Does this mean that "invoking an http request to bring up a JSP page or
HTML page will start a brand new request?".   And if the entry point JSP
page (say http://localhost:8080/test/login.jsp) calls actions (that can
"forward to other jsp pages") that call other actions (that can "forward to
other jsp pages") that call other actions (that can "forward to other jsp
pages") and so forth, that all of those actions (regardless of how many JSP
pages were brought up in those actions "ActionForward" mappings) are all a
part of the same request (which could have been something like
http://localhost:8080/test/login.jsp)

thanks so much,
Theron

                    dderry

                    rg>                  cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: Request scope question again...

                    02/22/02

                    05:22 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Struts Users

                    Mailing List

Hey Theron,

Let me take a shot at this for you. I don't claim to be an expert (except
when applying for a job ;-) ), so hopefully an expert will correct any
mis-information.

Page scope is valid only for a single page. Typically this MAY be the same
as request scope. However, if your Action class performs a forward to a
different page (or action), page scope will change (because it is a new
page), but it is still the same request scope. Request scope changes when
the browser makes a request of the server. So a redirect (rather than a
forward) will terminate request scope because the browser has to make an
additional request to retrieve the desired page.

When the user his the back button, NO beans will be used. remember that
beans reside on the server (all JSP activities are server side). The beans
work with the JSP to generate an HTML document that is delivered to the
browser to render. Hitting the back button merely retrieves this previously
rendered HTML document from the browser cache; no request is made to the
server.

Hopes this helps to clarify things for you. And if I have misspoken, I hope
that someone will correct me.

Dave D