struts-user mailing list archives

From theron.kou...@webmd.net
Subject Re: Can this be done at all using Form objects within struts framework
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:46:03 GMT

thanks Ted:

Your recommendation is a great way of doing it.

Theron

                    Ted Husted

                    e.org>               cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: Can this be done at all using Form
objects within struts
                    02/14/02             framework

                    05:11 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Struts Users

                    Mailing List

The form shouldn't preload the records. You should use an Action to
preload the records, put them on the form, and then forward to the JSP
when it's all said and done.

The form bean is part of the view. In a Model 2/MVC application, it
should not interact with the model/database.

-- Java Web Development with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/

theron.kousek@webmd.net wrote:

> With struts,when using a Form, I'd like to be able to have the form
> "pre-load" records prior to the form being displayed.
> Actually, more than just that, I'd like to have a form that can be
entered
> in 3 different possible states:
>
> - Insert state (in which case the form is empty)
> - Edit/View state (in which I "preload" the rows from the database)
> - Delete state (in which I "preload" the row from the database but have
the
> fields disabled).
>
> The validation() method is great because it contains a reference to the
> request object but I notice there is no "init()" or "preload()"
> method that comes with the form that I could "check/set a state and
> pre-load a row from the database" so that my getters would know
> to use the record.
>
> By writting a  constructor for the the form, I don't have access to the
> request object.
>
> How can this be done?     Is there a way to force the struts framework to
> call a method on my form object (to load/initialize values) prior to the
> form being displayed?
>
> thanks,
> Theron

For additional commands, e-mail: <