struts-user mailing list archives

From theron.kou...@webmd.net
Subject Struts config.xml and request/session scope
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:52:56 GMT

Hi Folks:

I have an action in struts.config.xml that looks like:
<action
        path="/enterBillingView"
        type="express.BillingIDActionForm"
        name="BillingIDForm"
        scope="session"
          validate="false"
          parameter="/BillingView.do">
       <forward   name="success"   path="/BillIDForm.jsp"/>
       <forward   name="displayerrors" path="/BillIDForm.jsp"/>
</action>
Question:
- The scope refers just to the "BillingIDForm" bean and not the action
object?

Also, I understand session scope, page scope and application scope but I am
always confused about request scope.   Doesn't request scope mean all links
invoked from within the current page retain the same scope data?    So if
page A has links to page B, C, and D, then B, C and D inherit the same
instances of any objects created by page A and vice-verse?    What if B has
links to E, F and G, then does the request scope data propogate on down to
them as well?    Is there a web-page that explains "request" scope a little
better?

You see, I have scope="session" in my struts.config.xml all over the place
because I am still unsure about "request" scope.   Most other examples seem
to have "request" scope in their struts.config.xml.

thanks in advance and sorry for my newbie questions,
Theron