struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Weis <djw...@sjdjweis.com>
Subject Re: Struts 1.1 and Tiles
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:08:56 GMT

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Cedric Dumoulin wrote:
>   The normal way to use Tiles with Struts is to write your own action forwarding to a
> logical name. This logical name can be linked to a Tile definition name :
>   <action     path="/test/testAction"
>            type="org.apache.struts.example.tiles.test.TestActionTileAction">
>       <forward  name="success"        path="test.struts.action"/>
>       <forward  name="failure"           path="test.struts.action.fail"/>
>   </action>
>   Check examples coming with Tiles to know more.

I have set up an action like this:

public class DaveAction extends Action {
    public ActionForward perform(ActionMapping mapping,
                                 ActionForm form,
                                 HttpServletRequest request,
                                 HttpServletResponse response)
        throws IOException, ServletException {
        return (mapping.findForward("success"));
    } // perform
}

With this in struts-config.xml
<action path="/dave"
        type="com.foo.test.DaveAction">
        <forward name="success" path="forward.dave.test.page" />
</action>

and this is my componentDefinitions.xml
<definition name="forward.dave.test.page" extends="mainLayout" >
  <put name="title" value="Dave Testing" />
  <put name="body" value="/dave.jsp" />
</definition>

But I still get a 500 error:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: path must be
absolute: `forward.dave.test.page'
	at
com.caucho.server.http.Application.getRequestDispatcher(Application.java:1805)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.java:957)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionForward(RequestProcessor.java:398)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:263)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1049)
	at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:442)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:126)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:103)
	at
com.caucho.server.http.FilterChainServlet.doFilter(FilterChainServlet.java:82)
	at com.caucho.server.http.Invocation.service(Invocation.java:272)
	at
com.caucho.server.http.CacheInvocation.service(CacheInvocation.java:128)
	at
com.caucho.server.http.HttpRequest.handleRequest(HttpRequest.java:216)
	at
com.caucho.server.http.HttpRequest.handleConnection(HttpRequest.java:158)
	at com.caucho.server.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:140)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I'm using the resin servlet engine, so is there something in tiles that is
specific to tomcat?

>   The "org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction" do itself the forward to the page, and
> is actually not designed to run with Tiles. It is easy to write a similar class to run
> with Tiles : copy method processForward(...) in
> org.apache.struts.tiles.ActionComponentServlet
> to your new class. Copy method perform(...) from ForwardAction, and modify this later
> to call processForward(...) rather than doing rd.forward().

If I write such a class, would you consider including it in the
distribution? It is very useful, and would be even better with tiles.

Thanks for the help

dave