struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Frosch" <jfro...@froschenterprises.com>
Subject IllegalStateException at x.x.ResponseFacade.getWriter()
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:22:00 GMT
I'm doing some testing to see the effect of a user navigating to a page
using a bookmark instead of through the proper work flow.  On one page,
I'm getting an IllegalStateException at
org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.getWriter(ResponseFacade.ja
va:159).

I understand this is caused by the getOutputStream method being called
for this response object and then later trying to get a PrintWriter or
OutputStream again.

The problem is, I can't figure out why this is happening on this
particular page.  One difference is, this page does use the
trying to protect from bookmark access.

So I have three questions:

1) Any ideas where I should look to solve this?

2) Any suggestions on how to debug these &%$*# JSP pages?  Setting a
breakpoint in the generated source file is nearly useless given all the
generated "noise" in the file.  Stepping through the application is also
futile since so much activity is occurring in the server (and this is
where the exception originates).

3)  What's the best way to block users from navigating into the middle
of a workflow using a bookmark, BACK key, or some other invalid way?

Thanks.

Jack