struts-user mailing list archives

From "Roshan Paiva" <rosh...@erunway.com>
Subject RE: html:select how to use it?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:52:52 GMT
Thanks a lot Mark.. I'll try it out..

-----Original Message-----
From: Galbreath, Mark [mailto:Galbreath@tessco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 1:44 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: html:select how to use it?

Here's a simple example of how I retrieve a List of years to populate a
dropdown list:

  <logic:iterate id="expYear" name="listExpYears" scope="session">
       <%= expYear %>
  </logic:iterate>

1.  The html:select property is a property in your bean, if one exists.
2.  styleId is just the HTML reference if you want to get a value with,
say JavaScript. 3.  The first html:option is the default "selected"
option that displays. 4.  The logic:iterate id is arbitrary but required
to reference the list's elements. 5.  iterate name is the name of my
ArrayList of years that I assigned to a session
    attribute in my action class:

   List listExpYears = new ArrayList();
   for( int k = 1; k < 11; k++) {
         listExpYears.add(( new Integer( 2000 +
             Calendar.getInstance().YEAR + k))
             .toString());
   }
   request.getSession().setAttribute(
         "listExpYears", listExpYears);

6. In html:option value, remember to cast the List objects to strings as
Struts is expecting a string.

Easy as pie, eh?

Mark