struts-user mailing list archives

From Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com) <str...@basebeans.com>
Subject Re: Preservation of forms
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:25:01 GMT
Subject: Re: Preservation of forms
From: "Scott Danzig" <danzig@avaya.com>
 ===
Figured this one out too.  Apparently, it's not good to store the
label/value collections in the forms.  You should store them as a session
attribute and it'll be preserved just fine.

- Scott

"Scott Danzig" <danzig@avaya.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering if forms are preserved in the session attributes.  Here's
the
> layout I have:
>
> LogonAction bean:
> Create a SecondForm bean
> Set various properties in the bean, prepopulating it
> Set it as the value of the session attribute: "secondForm"
> Specifies to load second.jsp
>
> second.jsp
> Shows all the prepopulated values just fine.
> Has an html:image button which leads to second.jsp
>
> Now should I be able to keep pressing this button, reloading the same
form,
> with the values in the form being preserved?  One of the properties I try
> setting in the form is two array lists used for an html:select statement.
> When I click the button, it complains about one of the array lists being
> null, as shown in the error below.  In the SecondAction bean, if I take
the
> form it gives me and set these array list properties to new array lists
> before returning to reload second.jsp, it stops complaining.  Why should I
> have to reload it?  I made sure reset() wasn't touching it.
> Here's that error... There's more to this I'll write afterwards:
>
> Error: 500
> Location: /MYPROJECT/second.jsp
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Property listValues returned a null value
>  at

> l.java:459)
>  at

_0002flocation_0002ejsplocation_jsp_17._jspService(_0002flocation_0002ejsplo
> cation_jsp_17.java:1122)
>  at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspCountedServlet.service(JspServlet.ja
> va:130)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
> va:282)
>  at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:429)
>  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:500)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
>  at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:287)
>  at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
>  at

org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:81