struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Struts Connection Pool Maturity - Ted - you out there?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:49:00 GMT
In the particular case of the Espresso connection pool, I didn't know
about it at the time.  In the particular case of Poolman, it has (well,
now it is really "had") a single developer instead of a community, and an
LGPL license to boot.  (Talk to RMS about why he says the Apache license
is evil -- I'm not interested in getting involved in that discussion.)

Feel free to integrate Struts into anything you like -- that is the
fundamental value proposition of the Apache License.  For the stuff
packaged *inside* Struts, I'm personally more comfortable with Apache
based code, where I know the other developers and the support culture
around it.

For outside code, given license compatibility and a willingness of others
to support it (to *my* quality standards, since Struts is pretty closely
associated with *my* name :-), I'm OK with it, but I'd usually rather just
leave it out and let others provide integrated packages.  (FWIW, in
Struts 1.1 the GenericDataSource class is a wrapper around the commons-dbcp
connection pool, which is also going to be used in Tomcat 4.1).

Craig