struts-user mailing list archives

From Arron Bates <arr...@pacific.net.au>
Subject Re: Tab Libraries? Bah!
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:45:21 GMT
Do you really think that JSP was made simply to do a templating engine
to make life easeir for designers and people who only do markup?...
JSP had to fight back at ASP. Something you can hack immediately, no
compiling and just run it. Really sweet and easy to get anyone going on
the road to a server side solution. Java lacked that. You had to write
and compile a servlet to get anything of the sort out of Java. Not
something that people starting out would want to do. Especially when
they're probably already written a "HelloWorld" in ASP and on their way.
Java had to bridge this gap in a complete way, and it did.

In this capacity, and so much more, JSP is quite excellent, and very
powerful. From power derives complexity however. The effort to a
templating engine is left to you guys, but JSP is an out-of-the-box
solution that can suit visual designers (yes you may have lead them a
little, but they're not all the way stupid. Well...most of them), all
the way to your coders. There is a need to dumb-down aspects of markup
(I'm working on another super-simple template engine for other reasons).
Some need it more than others. Usually the better the designer, the more
dumbing-down you may have to do (they can be ignorant blighters at
times), and on the other hand, I started out a designer, and embraced it
all... anyways.

All this, I feel has to be respected.

Arron.