struts-user mailing list archives

From Cedric Dumoulin <cedric.dumou...@lifl.fr>
Subject Re: Controller behaviour in <tiles:insert controllerClass=""/>
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:03:43 GMT

  Hello,

  See intermixed.

    Cedric

Antony wrote:

> Hi:
>     I`m rather enjoying programming with tiles framework(thanks Cedric),
> however
> I (still) have some questions that needs clarification:
>
> 1. How does "Controller" acts in a composite view scenario? One
> important factor of controller is
> that it "dispatch" requests to several "view" conditionally....so can I
> do this when I call a controller from
> a <tiles:insert .../> tag? Can I insert different pages according to
> transaction state, just like standard struts
> application?

  The tiles controller is (yet) a "simplified" controller. It allows preparation
of data that will be displayed by the tile. It doesn't allows choice of tiles.
  If you want a complete controller, you can use a Struts action forwarding to
different tiles.
  Maybe I will complete the tiles controller, but this may overlap Struts
functionality.

> 2.  The "flush" property of <tiles:insert/>. Actually, I`m building a
> jetspeed-like application, and I used multilevel
> dynamic inclusion. To a certain extent, the tiles tag reported to be
> unable to "flush" in a tag lib. Then I disable the
> flush property of that level, and application runs fine. But I
> discovered that page content became static and don`t reflect
> to database changes. I know that this may be a result of  setting flush
> attribute to false.... But I need this dynamic feature,
> so how may I overcome this?

  When you specify flush="true", the tiles implementation do a flushimmediately
after the include of the page. There is no reason that the page becomes "static",
unless a strange behavior of your web container ?