struts-user mailing list archives

From dmk...@earthlink.net (David M. Karr)
Subject Re: Cannot find message resources under key org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 05:03:36 GMT
>>>>> "c" == c bittencourt <Cinq> writes:

    c> I'm using Websphere 3.5.6 and Struts 1.1b1 on W2K.
    c> I'm trying to run the Struts examples.
    c> I followed the Struts/Websphere configuration guide but when I call
    c> http://localhost/struts-example/ (/struts-example/index.jsp) I'm getting the
    c> error:
    c> Cannot find message resources under key org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
    c> javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot find message resources under key
    c> org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE at
    c> org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.message(RequestUtils.java:793)
    c> ... Stack trace
    c> What's going on?

I haven't had time to check back on this, but I noticed a problem a while ago
(nightly build) with the handling of the "message-resources" element in the
"struts-config.xml" file.  As a result of this problem, I got the same error
message you found, although you can get this message for other reasons.

Normally, you need a "parameter" attribute, which specifies the base name of
your properties file.  There is also a "key" attribute, but it is optional.  If
it is present, it specifies the key value to use to lookup the resource
bundle.  The default value is "org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE".  In my test
case, all I did was add the "key" attribute with its default value, and that
fixed my problem.