struts-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject Re: Tab Libraries? Bah!
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:23:39 GMT

I've come to the following conclusions:

 - If Struts tries "to take the programmer out of the equation" completely,
it will become an inferior solution.

 - Other page development languages (Cold Fusion, ASP, JSP even) provide
actual scripting languages with:
     - Variable definition
     - String manipulation functions
     - Looping constructs that don't need to be tied to objects (or
collections in objects)
     - Other things that give the page developer power to create dynamic
pages

I don't believe that Struts can (or should, really) provide all these
things. Yet these things become very handy when building dynamic pages.

If you tell a page developer (and I have) that they need to leave one of
the more powerful development languages that I described to use Struts,
there are problems:

 - The page developer has less flexibility than they used to have
 - The page developer can contribute less to the project - they are used to
having a more powerful language.

So the only answer I can practically think of is to still allow some
mixture of scriptlets. I think eliminating them all is a mistake - I tried
it.

So then, the real question is how - or where - do you draw the line?

Asking page designers to become Java programmers is a problem. Giving them
only Struts is a problem.

Where is the middle ground?

FWIW -
Kevin

Joe Osowski <josowski@fulltilt.com> on 04/24/2002 03:14:50 PM

      <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>

cc:
Subject:  Tab Libraries?  Bah!

<bitchSession>
This kind of thing has really bothered me about Tag libs.  The whole point
of them is to keep HTML code as simple and clean as possible right?

But if you have to break down and use the <%%> snippets inline, does it not
make the whole process self defeating?  In my mind using <%%> snippets and
tag libraries is more confusing then just using snippets alone, spaghetti
code be damned.

We're trying to take the programmer out of the equation, but as long as the
tag libraries are implemented half ass, your not going to do anything but
make the whole process more confusing and frustrating.

</bitchSession>

Thoughts?