struts-user mailing list archives

From "Manfred Wolff" <wo...@pointers.de>
Subject AW: Why digester?
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 15:46:12 GMT
Hi Adolfo.

I think the digester is no contradiction to a xml-parser. The digester
uses a xml-parser and will make the parsing more comfortable. So you
only must deal with java classes and not with xml-tags. For my opinion
it is a little bit oversized, but thats a "matter of taste" - we say in
germany ;-).

You may use a parser of your choise e.g. xerces, dom4j to parse your own
documents. Myself I use configurable
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/configure/), a litte framework that I
have written to configure my things in struts. The goal is the same: I
will not have xml-parse-code in my application, I will use a framework,
that does parsing for me.

Manfred

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: struts-user-return-38528-wolff=pointers.de@jakarta.apache.org
[mailto:struts-user-return-38528-wolff=pointers.de@jakarta.apache.org]
Im Auftrag von Adolfo Miguelez
Gesendet: Samstag, 22. Juni 2002 16:38
An: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: Why digester?

Hi All,

a strange question this time. I just wonder why Struts (and other
Jakarta
products, as Commons bunch, etc) is based in the digester parser rather
than
JAXP, JDOM, or another one.

I guess, that Jakarta guys have developed a parser from scrath, in order
customize it for their necesities. However, I also guess that it does
not
match the Java/Sun specs. So my own response is having a parser that
they
consider confidable and that they could configure to match they
requisites.

The question arises when, thinking in extend Struts, with some ocasional

code that could parse a XML file, I wonder what advantages give me to
use
the digester? Why Jakarta guys implemented and use it?

Any light to clarify this design question would be appreciated. Thanks
in
advance,

Adolfo

For additional commands, e-mail: