struts-user mailing list archives

From Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com) <str...@basebeans.com>
Subject Re: Design Advice - Relational Databases & Java Objects
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:55:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Design Advice - Relational Databases & Java Objects
From: Jeff Duska <jeff.duska@noaa.gov>
 ===
I think this is the point that Vic was making. The transaction that you
will thinking of in the application might not nicely map to simple DAO
objects. While I might have Order and Order Items in the database, I
must like might not want to have two seperate DAO objects. I might
create just a Order object, which has a collection of items.

I think approaches, if I understand them, Martin Fowler recommends the
Transaction Scripts design pattern or you could use a data mapping design.

Another way to do this is command pattern that Bruce Tate uses in his
Bitter Java. My only concern with this design was that seemed to offer
less reuse. I'm only have half way through books, so maybe I've missed a
section on this.

What would be nice to find more examples that explain both the pros and
cons. Vic has placed is project out there on Basebeans, but I'm not sure
that this covered in it. I haven't looked at in detail yet.

Regards,

Jeff Duska