struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Please help clarify or confirm -- HttpSession
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:51:29 GMT

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Jerry Jalenak wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:12:00 -0500
> From: Jerry Jalenak <Jerry.Jalenak@LABONE.com>
>      "'josephb@hereuare.com'" <josephb@hereuare.com>
> Subject: RE: Please help clarify or confirm -- HttpSession
>
> A couple of reasons....
>
> 1. My company has three main lines of business that for various regulatory
> reasons need to be kept separate.  This applies to deliver of content on the
> web as well.  What I am trying to accomplish is essentially a single-signon
> capability (within the framework) that the business applications can then
> validate against (successful logon, etc.).

Single sign on is a different kettle of fish ... and it does *not* require
sharing sessions for the server to accomodate it.  Tomcat 4, for example,
supports single sign on -- see the server config documents on the <Host>
element of server.xml for the details.

All this does for you, though, is avoid the need for a user to log in to
each app -- it does nothing for sharing information between apps.  Your
best bet is to do something like:

* Store the shared info in a database or EJB that is accessible
  to all the relevant webapps.

* Store shared information in a static variable associated with
  a class that is loaded from the shared class loader (so that
  there really is only one instance).

Figuring out how to relate the information from various webapps together
is an exercise left to the user, but you can probably do something with
the fact that request.getRemoteUser() will return the same value in every
webapp.

> 2. I am also needing to integrate non-JSP applications (.ASP for instance)
> into the framework.  I know they cannot directly access my JavaBeans, but
> I'm wondering if a .ASP page could access the HttpSession data.....

I don't have a clue how you could possibly accomplish this, given that the
ASP pages aren't running inside the same JVM that Tomcat is.

> Jerry

Craig