struts-user mailing list archives

From Eric Beaumier <eb2_mailingl...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Suggestion ActionForm: postPopulate()
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:33:13 GMT

Hi,

The reset() is always called in processPopulate().  This act as
prePopulate() method, and it's good to initialize properties, but it can
be usefull to have a postPopulate(ActionMapping mapping, ServletRequest request) method.

At the time the properties have been filled, we can do some actions on the form
accordinly with the new input values.  Exemple, populating a second SELECT/OPTIONS
with a new "Value Object" from EJB calls.

Because, Validation can throw ActionErrors, the Action.execute() can't be never call ...
anayway in this case it's the responsability of the FormBean to populate this kind of
"Value Object" not the Action ...

It's sure, you can do this action in the setSelect1() method, but if we have
dependencies with more than one properties, it's not guarantee that all setProperties()
needed, have been filled at that time ...

Thanks.