struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jerry Jalenak" <Jerry.Jale...@LABONE.com>
Subject RE: Please help clarify or confirm -- HttpSession
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:17:26 GMT
Damn, not yet ready to go to Tomcat 4.x.  Might be a good argument to start
moving that direction.....  (:-)

Thanks to everyone for their comments - it's given me plenty to think about.

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com [mailto:Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 2:00 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Please help clarify or confirm -- HttpSession

> > Second, having common
> > directories on the two CLASSPATHS for the two webapps allows you to
load
> > CLASSES to create new objects, but not to share the objects once they
are
> > created.

> True, but not what I suggested at all.  Two webapps sharing a common
> CLASSPATH is far different from them having access to a common
> (shared,parent) CLASSLOADER.  In the former two different classloaders
are
In
> the latter, a parent classloader is loading a class into a "memory space"
> accessible by either of the two child classloaders for the webapps.  So I
> fail to see why a static class with static resources loaded by this
parent
> classloader will not enable objects to be shared between the two child
> classloaders, so long as the objects themselves are also created from
> classes loaded by the shared classloader.
>
> Note that I am also not claiming that this will 100% work, I just don't
see
> why it wouldn't.

Sorry, misunderstood you.

I'm not sure if this would work either, but I follow your logic. Seems like
it would be easy to try. Just create a simple static class holding a
counter and then hit two diff web apps that increment and display its
value.

Looking at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html it
looks as it the Classloader Hierarchy in Tomcat 4.1 (per the Servlet Spec
2.3 sections 9.4 & 9.6) provides exactly this functionality.

It even says that the "shared" class loader exists for "classes and
resources that you wish to share across ALL web applications".

So as long as you've got a 2.3 compliant container and you can get the
functionality you need from a static class, then this should work.

For additional commands, e-mail:

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the transmission to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this transmission in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify LabOne at (800)388-4675.