struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jerry Jalenak" <Jerry.Jale...@LABONE.com>
Subject RE: Please help clarify or confirm -- HttpSession
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:37:32 GMT
Craig,

Maybe single sign-on is the wrong term to use.  We are essentially trying to
create a single 'point of entry' into our client website that will
authenticate/authorize a user to those webapps that they are allowed to
access.  Within this desire, I also need to maintain a distinct separation
between my lines of business, even though a user can have access to webapp1
in business 1, webapp1 in business2, etc.  In my authentication procedure, I
build a set of nested beans for the user, something along the lines of

	user
	 +--- business --- business --- business
		 +webapp	  +webapp	   +webapp
		 +webapp	  +webapp	   +webapp
		   .		    .		     .
		   .		    .		     .

Within each webapp bean is a list of validation codes that permit the user
to access enterprise data.  Each webapp is responsible for extracting this
list of codes (by webapp by business) and then using this list to retrieve
data (typically goes into the WHERE clause on a SELECT statement).  By
creating this set of nested beans one time (at authentication) was to
eliminate the need for each webapp to access our authentication database,
thereby (hopefully) allowing each webapp to focus only on the business
solution.   Finally, by keeping each webapp in a separate directory
structure, I was also hoping to 'self contain' each webapp (i.e. each webapp
can be modified, tested, etc. without concern about potentially changing
other webapps).

Am I just really out in left field here?

Finally, in regards to the JSP/ASP integration, I've found a product called
JIntegra from Intrinsic Systems that provides a bi-directional bridge
between Java classes and ASP .COM objects (through the use of DCOM).  I
think that by using a static class in a common classloader would also
provide the functionality (within the Java class) to talk to my .ASP
webapps.  Has anyone out there used this product before? Any feedback?

Jerry