struts-user mailing list archives

From Ren Bitonio <rbito...@kana.com>
Subject RE: Weblogic 5.1 + commons.logging - HERE'S THE ANSWER!
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:20:42 GMT
Dean,

I believe you are talking about Struts version 1.1Beta1.  If so, then that
version of commons-logging.jar has a classloader problem issue, that does
not work smoothly with Weblogic 5.1.  I had this problem earlier with WLS61
SP2 and later resolved it.

You need to swap out your commons-logging.jar.  I believe the 5/9 nightly
build was the first edition to resolve this problem, as I checked its source
code to see if LogFactory class was fixed, regarding which classloader to
use and load the factory implementation.  It worked!  The latest ones should
work as well.

By the way, other than getting a newer jar file, there is another
workaround, which is placing the original jar file in the Weblogic's
globalclasspath, yet this is not the preferred route.

Give it a try, and let me know how it works out.

Good luck,
Ren

-----Original Message-----
From: Chen, Dean (Zhun) [mailto:Dean.Chen@gs.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 12:08 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: Weblogic 5.1 + commons.logging

Hi,

I'm migrating my Tomcat application to WebLogic 5.1, in doing so I am
getting this error:

Thu Jun 20 15:05:07 EDT 2002:<E> <WebAppServletContext-setshistory> Error
instantiating servlet: com.gs.eq.ed.atlas.web.commons.SetsActionServlet
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:497)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:350)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:381)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.<init>(ActionServlet.java:331)

I placed the commons-logging.jar into the WEB-INF/lib directory, however, it
still complains. Has anyone seen these types of error before? Is this a
weblogic problem or a commons-logging problem?

Thanks,

Dean Chen