struts-user mailing list archives

From Kevin.Bed...@sunlife.com
Subject RE: UML? File organization?
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:06:59 GMT

>From reviewing my UML Distilled and UML Reference manual books, here are
some thoughts -

- According to the UML reference manual, pakage design should "reflect the
high-level architecture of a system - it's decomposition into subsystems
and their dependencies. Dependency among packages summarizes the
dependencies among the package contents".

- In "UML Distilled", Martin Fowler recommends designing packages to
minimize package dependencies. He goes as far as recommending the designer
create "facade" classes within packages that expose only those
properties/methods that other packages need to know about. (I'm not  sure
if I buy into taking it this far.)

In other words, the idea that  "Things that are used together should be
packaged together" could be thought of as another way of saying "minimize
inter-package dependencies"  which is what the UML recommends anyway.

And it also follows the idea you have below of trying to minimize package
dependencies so that you could break pieces of the application off (or
reuse them) later. This seems to me to be sound object-oriented design - it
encapsulates functionality into packages and minimizes dependancies (and
hopefully maintenance effort later!).

This approach is similar to approaches I've use successuflly in the past.

Kevin

wbchmura@Ensign-BickfordInd.com on 06/21/2002 12:37:15 PM

      <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>