struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Newbie: pass ResultSet to JSP?
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:39:23 GMT
You can definitely use <logic:iterate> -- you just shouldn't try to
iterate the ResultSet.  In a strict MVC/Model 2 approach, the
ResultSet ("model") should be isolated from the JSP ("view").

In your action, just run through the result set and put the data
values into a list of instances of some view-level adapter object.
This lets your page work whether the data comes from a database, an
XML file, or previously entered user data.

If you don't need anything sophisticated, your adapter could simply
be a java.util.Map; if you think you're going to use these "views" of
your data more often, you should make a simple bean.

Hope that helps.

Joe

At 6:25 AM -0700 2002/06/21, Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com) wrote:
>Subject: Newbie: pass ResultSet to JSP?
>From: "David Chu" <davidchu@aol.net>
>  ===
>I am trying to get my head around this struts framework for the first time.
>I am confused about the best/standard way to access data from a JSP.
>
>- Let's say I want a page list_items.jsp.
>- I have access to a bean that has a method that returns the results of a
>database query as a ResultSet object.
>- How should I iterate through the rows of the bean?
>- Complication: my jsp complains that the ResultSet object has been closed
>(because I closed the query)
>
>Is this the prefered encapsulator of data that I should be accessing through
>my JSP?  Hopefully I can use the <struts-logic:iterate> tag.
>
>Thanks for helping out a new struts developer!
>
>-david
>
>------------------------------
>David C. Chu
>America Online
>Network Tools Intern

* Joe Germuska    { joe@germuska.com }
"It's pitiful, sometimes, if they've got it bad. Their eyes get
glazed, they go white, their hands tremble.... As I watch them I
often feel that a dope peddler is a gentleman compared with the man
who sells records."
	--Sam Goody, 1956
tune in posse radio: <http://www.live365.com/stations/289268>