struts-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Delamere" <h...@michael-delamere.de>
Subject Architecture advice....
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:14:51 GMT
Hi,

I had a discussion at work today concerning the best way to implement our
application.  A very
basic discription of the framework would be the following:

1. Struts + Velocity for the view
2. Struts ActionServlets for the controller
3. Service layer/methods for querying persistence layer
4. OJB persistence layer

The main debate was actually about what the service layer would look like.
We thought about the following options:

1. The service layer consists of static methods
2. The service layer would consists of normal classes
3. The service layer could consist of servlets

The idea is that (this is nothing new of course) the service layer would
purely have methods such as addToShoppingBasket() or checkLogin(); basically
service methods which carry out the communication with the persistense layer
and returns the result to the controller.

The question is though, should we create a new object every time we want to
access a stateless method?  Surely that would be a bit of an overhead.  Go
with servlets?  This possibly ties it to the web-container too much and
isnĀ“t very elegant (?).  Another option would be just to use static methods;
can this cause a problem when wanting to distribute to more than one server?
Is it better in terms of performance?

I would really appreciate some help and ideas on this.  It would make things
easier in terms of deciding on the next step.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Michael