struts-user mailing list archives

From chuckcavan...@attbi.com
Subject Re: DynaActionForm vs ActionForm
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 14:43:58 GMT
Sandra,

  One source of information on the subject is Chapter 7
from my Struts book that I'm currently writing. It might
not be able to answer all of your questions, but it
should get you started in the right direction on it.

You can download the draft chapter from here:
http://www.theserverside.com/resources/strutsreview.jsp.
You must register first, but it's free to do so. Feel
free to read the other chapters there as well.

As far as your questions go, let me try to answer some
of them. Using DynaActionForm and the specialized
subclasses is a "huge" improvement over standard
ActionForms. All you have to do is to declaratively
configure them in the Struts configuration file and the
framework takes care of "most of the work" for you.
There are some best practices that Ted and Craig have
mentioned and that I talk about in Chapter 7. Try to
follow these as it will make things easier.

If you add/delete/modify fields in your HTML page, you
only need to change the properties in the Struts
configuration for the form. That's one of the biggest
benefits; most of the work is declarative, not
programmatic.

There are other subclasses that allow you to utilize the
Validator, along with dynamic forms. I strongly
recommend this. I'll be posting a chapter on the
Validator very soon and will cover this.

Chuck