struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Long property defaulting to zero
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 20:46:01 GMT
The new version of ConvertUtils (from commons-beanutils) changed this
behavior from what was observed in Struts 1.0.  To restore the previous
default, you need to download a very recent nightly build of 1.1 and set
up a servlet initialization parameter "convertNull" with value "true" for
the controller servlet.

Craig

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Brian Knorr wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:34:25 -0500
> From: Brian Knorr <btk@nextjet.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Long property defaulting to zero
>

> We just upgraded from struts 1.0 to struts1.1beta and are encountering an issue with
some properties on our forms. If the value being set and returned is a wrapper type like Long,
struts is setting the default value to zero instead of null... for example:

> public Long getAccountNumber() {
> 	return accountNumber;
> }
>
> public void setAccountNumber(Long accountNumber) {
> 	this.accountNumber = accountNumber;
> }
>
> If on our form we have a hidden field <html:hidden property="accountNumber"/> and
when load the form the value for this "empty", but when we submit the form, struts sets the
value to zero.  Is this correct or should it be null?  Regardless, does anyone know how to
configure struts so that the default value is null rather than zero?