struts-user mailing list archives

From Eddie Bush <ekb...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Keeping track of users
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:44:33 GMT
Hey, Vic!  I feel a bit stupid, as I didn't realize in our prior
conversation about basicportal that JAAS was a standard
authorization/authentication mechanism.  I hit the Sun site last night
and read up on it a bit.  Something I don't find very obvious wrt
application-specific implications are:

will getRemoteUser return what one would expect?
will isUserInRole return what one would expect?
will getPrinciple return what one would expect?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is:  Is JAAS "the current best
solution" for form-based authentication where you want to "let" the user
login instead of "make" the user login?  If you've read my other post on
"Working around CMA in an AS-independent way", you'll see what I believe
to be a solution to this unfortunate perdicament many of us find
ourselves in wrt FORM-based authentication.  I don't see why it wouldn't
work, though I have not yet implemented it (I'm working on learning OJB
right now).  Assuming my solution works, I think it's probably a better
work-around than JAAS, since you don't have to deal with additional
maintenance of your own realm implementation.

As I asked in my other post:

Am I deluding myself, or is this a solution?

Thanks!

Eddie