struts-user mailing list archives

From Michael Rimov <rim...@centercomp.com>
Subject RE: Retrofitting Struts app with Expresso for caching?
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:27:30 GMT

>Platform: 1GHz Intel PIII w/512MB RAM, RedHat linux 7.2, Sun JDK 1.3.1,
>Is it possible to retrofit an existing Struts app with Expresso?  Or
>does Expresso have to be there from the start?
>

>The reason I want this, is to get presentation level caching.  Can
>Expresso help with this?  Or does it only do caching on other levels?

Steinar,

Sorry I missed your post earlier....

No you don't have to use Expresso from the ground up.  For example, you can
use DBObjects for your data access, and then straight struts
actions.  Anyway, the CacheManager is fully independant of even the
DBObject components, so you can use it to your heart's content.  For
example, there's an example in:
                 com.jcorporate.expresso.core.dbobj.SecuredDBObject

of the security system creating it's own cache to significantly speed table
lookups for security checking.

There's an ea-4 coming out pretty soon, I've done some work to the Cache
system to make it more scaleable and robust.  I'd give it a whirl.

HTH!
                                                 -Mike