struts-user mailing list archives

From "Brian Topping" <topp...@digidemic.com>
Subject RE: Re: Struts + EJB ?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:36:02 GMT

Manfred,

Are you using Xdoclet <strutsform/> tags?  If so, could you explain how you
are using them with complex forms that manipulate many beans?  So far, I have
been using the simple case of a single entity bean mapping to a single form,
but this doesn't scale to more complex forms.

Last night I was considering changes to Xdoclet allowing for a single form
name to be referenced by multiple entity classes, and the form that is
generated would have value objects for all of these classes in a containment
therein.  Then, for every method-level @struts:form-field tag, the
corresponding encapsulation would be generated into the form object.  The
encapsulation would simply be a call-through to the correct class and method
of the contained value objects.  If the FormAction is considered as a part of
the controller, the pattern is maintained.

But your email has me considering that this might encourage bad design, that
in fact the form should be sent in a valueobject down to a session, and have
the session deal with the business logic of how to manage the form contents.
This would imply that your designs are using @struts:form-field tags in the
session object and having it do all of the entity manipulation.

Interested in your thoughts...

Brian