struts-user mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Tracy (ETW)" <Tracy.Nel...@nike.com>
Subject RE: [OT] What do you do with your SQL?
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 20:27:37 GMT
I once prototyped a system where I  kept all the SQL statements in the
database itself.  The original intent was to take the statements and
actually compile them into stored procedures, but the project was dropped
before that part was finished.

Cheers!
-- Tracy Nelson

-----Original Message-----
From: Assenza, Chris [mailto:cassenza@Accessdc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 13:17
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: [OT] What do you do with your SQL?

Hi all,

Been a while since I last wrote, but I've been lurking to observe all the
crazy antics. :)  Anyway, I've got a question of an [ot] nature that I
believe you folks will have an answer for.

Our application is highly data-driven and as such a lot of our "business
logic" is written to build SQL statements and handle query results.  Pretty
typical stuff.  Using Struts we pass data objects to a stateless session EJB
where all the SQL is directly embedded into the java source one way or
another.

We're currently converting this custom app into a product. As such, we need
to be able to have easily modifiable SQL statements without requiring
recompilation of code.  For example, if client A decides to buy our app and
they have xyz infrastructure or business rules, we need to be able to easily
modify sql, hints and the like while also supporting the client-specific
sql, hints, etc. of client B.

A lot of our SQL is built on the fly so using properties files may be a
little cumbersome, though certainly not beyond our means.  I have other
ideas floating around, but I'd rather just hear yours - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

For additional commands, e-mail: