struts-user mailing list archives

From JensStu...@quidinfo.it
Subject Re: Form bean properties data types and conversions
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:32:32 GMT

So the answer is, that without changing struts there is no way to achieve
this in automatic, i assume.
Maybe could be an interesting enhancement for future releases? Otherwise
the automatism on type conversions is really useless outside U.S.

Regards,

Jens Stutte

                    "Craig R.

                    <craigmcc@apa        cc:

                    che.org>             Subject:     Re: Form bean properties data types
and conversions

                    18/07/2002

                    18.45

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "Struts Users

                    Mailing List"

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 JensStutte@quidinfo.it wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:52:28 +0200
> From: JensStutte@quidinfo.it
> Subject: Form bean properties data types and conversions
>

> I have seen, that in Struts 1.0 there is some support for automatic
> conversion of request parameters to form bean properties, which seems to
be
> extending in the 1.1beta (i did not use it, but i navigated through the
> sources). There seem to be converters for date and time data types in the
> beta. So far, so fine.
>
> But i could not get any hint on the localisation. As Struts knows in his
> request the locale of the user and offers it to the Action programmer,
will
> this locale be used to make any automatic conversions, too? For Struts
1.0
> this seems not to be the case, as far as i could see in the sources in
half
> an hour. And the calls to the new DynaBean classes from the
jakarta.commons
> project seem to lack any locale support, too. I can not see much use in
an
> automatic conversion function of Dates (but also numbers), whithout any
> respect to the users locale, so i wondered if i am missing something.

The APIs for Converters is not currently Locale-sensitive, although it
could probably be made possible through an extended interface
(LocaleConverter or something) that passed an extra Locale argument along.

> Could someone shed som light on this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jens Stutte

Craig