struts-user mailing list archives

From "Zimmer, Robin (SSABSA)" <rob...@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: Creating a DynaActionForm instance
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:33:59 GMT
Try something like:

public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
                             ActionForm form,
                             javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest request,
                             javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse
response)
        throws java.lang.Exception
    {
	  DynaActionForm myForm = (DynaActionForm)form;
        myForm.set("firstName", "bob");

        String forward = "success";
        ActionForward af = mapping.findForward( forward );
        return af;
    }

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Lindsey [mailto:aaron.lindsey@objectsciences.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 August 2002 1:39 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Creating a DynaActionForm instance

Hi all,
   I've seen this question asked a couple of times in the archives, but
there
weren't any answers that I could find, so I'm giving it another shot.  How
can I create an instance of DynaActionForm from inside an Action in order to

prepopulate it with data to be displayed in a jsp form?  I tried the
following:

DynaActionForm myForm = new DynaActionForm();
myForm.set("firstName", "bob");

A NullPointerException is thrown.  Is it possible to do something like this
with a DynaActionForm?  Do I have to go back to the regular ActionForm to
have the ability to create an instance of an ActionForm, populate it, put it

on the Request, and forward to a jsp that will then use the form?  Thanks.

Aaron