struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cannot specify multiple log files with CommonsLogging/Log4j
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 19:06:28 GMT

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Greg Hess wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:36:47 -0400
> From: Greg Hess <ghess@wrappedapps.com>
> To: Struts Mail List <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Cannot specify multiple log files with CommonsLogging/Log4j
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am deploying multiple instances of the same web app in the same web
> container Resin2.1.2. I would like to have each web application use a unique
> log file to simplify bug tracking. I am specifying the
> log4j.appender.rolling.File=logs/appinstance1701794474_65.log with a new log
> file for each deployed app.
>
> I had expected when each new app is initialized it would initialize its
> logging implementation through Commons.logging and
>
> private static final Log m_log = LogFactory.getLog(SQLManager.class);
>
> Would return the logging implementation for this web app. What happens is
> that I receive a org.apache.commons.logging.Log but it uses the log file of
> the first initialized web app.
>
> I didn't think this was possible as each web app runs in its own VM and
> LogFactory.getLog(SQLManager.class) could only return instantiated Log
> implementation for the given web app.

Does Resin really do that (VM per webapp)?  That would be pretty
surprising.

On Tomcat, or other containers that use a single VM for all webapps, you
can accomplish what you are after by putting commons-logging.jar, Log4J,
and all of your classes inside the webapp, instead of in a shared
directory.  Then, "static" variables are per-webpp instead of global.

> Does anyone know why this is happening?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Greg

Craig