struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Pennal <je...@openroad.ca>
Subject Re: merge Struts and stxx?
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:24:16 GMT
Hi Glen,

Currenly stxx has a 1.1 version in CVS (under the branch stxx1_1) which
behaves as a proper "sub-application" under struts.

I have talked to Craig McClanahan about incorporating stxx into struts,
like tiles and velocity are and it looks like that's the way we'll go
with stxx.

Right now, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

Mazza, Glen R, PERSCOM wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if perhaps a future release of Struts might be enhanced if
> it integrated the XML/XSLT/PDF possibilities of stxx.
>
> An email on the struts-xsl Yahoo group
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/struts-xsl/message/240) about Oracle's
> Cleveland web framework, criticized Struts for not having "native" support
> for XSLT, XSL FO/PDF technologies, etc., that are already in the stxx
> extension.  (You can still use XSL/XSLT/XSL FO within Struts however,
> currently by manually returning the application/pdf object from the
> ActionForms.)
>
> One drawback I see is that stxx includes the FOP processor (which further
> includes the Avalon logger), etc., and Struts might get overly large if it
> were to include stxx.  So perhaps the status quo of using Struts and
> importing stxx only when needed remains preferable.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen

Jeff Pennal                         p:604-694-0554(x107)
Senior Software Developer           f:604-694-0558
Openroad Communications             e:jeffp@openroad.ca
Vancouver, BC