struts-user mailing list archives

From "Cohan, Sean" <SCo...@goSPS.com>
Subject RE: Ending a Session After Browser Has Gone Away
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 16:17:03 GMT
We must be stateful.  This not an internet application (although it will be
used across the internet.)  It's an enterprise app and we must use state.
Also, the users have requested they be able to use multiple browsers and
won't want to log into to each one.

I looked at HttpSessionBindingListener but didn't get a real good feel for
how it can help us when the browser (or I should say when all browsers) have
gone away and the user needs to log back in.  Note: we flip a logged in flag
during the login process to prevent the user from logging in twice.  This
gets flipped back when the user logs off or the session expires.  This flag
will prevent the user from logging back in, unless we can somehow get around
cases where they've exited without logging out.

I'm sure this is an age old browser problem and I'm sure there have been
good solutions to getting around this.  So I'm hoping someone can steer me
in the right direction.

Thanks a ton.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Baity [mailto:tonybaity@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 11:45 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Ending a Session After Browser Has Gone Away

Look in the javadocs for HttpSession and how to use
HttpSessionBindingListener .
I recommend allowing each browser instance to be allowed to login. Try to be
stateless. If you want to do anything at all in the case of session timeout,
use the  HttpSessionBindingListener

 Becky Moyer wrote:Just set a short session timeout. 3 minutes of
inactivity, session expires.
So by the time they reboot, they have to log in again.
Yeah, if someone stares at the page for 3 minutes and does something, they
have to log in again, but if you're that concerned with sessions getting
cleared, then it's not such a big deal.

Anything wrong with this?
Becky