struts-user mailing list archives

From "Charles McClain" <CMcClai...@ATTBI.Com>
Subject RE: Logout in a container-managed security environment
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:37:17 GMT
Mohan:

I just finished setting up container-managed FORM-based authentication
and getting it working, based on advice from several people on this
mailing list.  I'll pass on what I learned, and others can add to it or
correct my advice.  I'm assuming that you know how to set up
container-managed FORM-based authentication, and that your question only
applies to its relationship to Struts.  If that is not the case, you can
review the replies I received to my original posting, or write back and
I will provide detail.

Container-managed FORM-based authentication is separate and apart from
the Struts framework, and indeed can be applied to an application that
is not based on Struts.

When you set up FORM-based authentication, you specify a login page and
login error page.  When the user enters a URL that falls within the
<security-constraint> and <web-resource-collection> you specified in
your web.xml, the container takes over and pops up the login page you
specified in your <login-config> entry.

Assuming that your login page form specifies "j_security_check" as the
action, when the user hits the submit button, control passes back to the
container, which validates j_username and j_password against the
container's security realm; if they are valid, then the container passes
control to the <welcome-page> specified in your web.xml.  If they are
invalid, the container passes control the error page you specified.

Since this validation is performed by the container, you do NOT want a
Struts ActionForm associated with the login page, nor do you want an
Action associated with it.  If you have prep work you need performed,
you should perform it in the Action associated with your welcome page.
It will get performed when the login passes the container's validation
and the container passes control to your welcome page.

It IS useful, however, to have a <global-forward> back to the login
page, so that your login error page can direct the user back to the
login page, to re-login after an error, and so that, after he logs out,
your logout confirmation page can direct him back to the login page.
Also, your login page and login error page may contain Struts tags.

Since I'm still in the process of converting my app over to FORM-based
authentication, I haven't completely worked out the interaction between
the container and Struts as far as subsequent login-checking is
concerned.  I don't think you need to check the user's login status on
your JSPs and in your actions, because I think the container will force
the user to the login page if he tries to enter the app "in the middle"
via a bookmark or something.  I will be testing this in the near future.

However, I do know that you can gain access to the username and/or role
via the Jakarta Taglib request library; for example, I originally
converted my app to container-managed BASIC authentication expressly so
that I could use the <req:isUserInRole> tag to vary menu and screen
content based on the user's role.

I apologize for my incomplete knowledge, and as I said, I encourage
others to correct or add to what I have written, but since no one else
has yet replied to you, I figured you'd rather have some reply than
none.  I'll be smarter in a few days, after I've had a chance to fully
integrate the container-managed FORM-based authentication facility and
do all my testing.

-- Charlie