struts-user mailing list archives

From gus <gus...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Improving performance by splitting JSP?
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:59:38 GMT
Joe Barefoot schrieb:
  > Since each JSP compiles down to a single method call in the
generated source
  > class, and (depending on how the JSP compiler generates Java
source) each
  > custom tag could potentially have its own try/catch block as well
as several
  > local variables, the more 'stuff' you have on a single page
correlates to
  > the amount of stack memory required for the local scope of the
method call.

I tried to track down the problem (with the unsplitted page) with
System.out.println statements. With this procedure I discovered that
most of the time (4 sec) is consumed in one piece (=between two source
code lines) but not always at the same source code lines. I assumed a
memory allocation problem but increasing the page buffer to 100kb
didn't help.

It looks like Tomcat is "taking a break" for 4 sec before delivering
the next content. During this break CPU load raises up to 100%.

Do you know under which circumstances this or similar behaviour can
occur with Tomcat?

Regards
     gus