struts-user mailing list archives

From kiuma <ki...@usa.net>
Subject Re: How to manage application properties?
Date Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:09:01 GMT
You should prefer to use struts-config.xml to get applets props.
Take a look to the samples bundled with struts and also use struts
console to configure struts, at least at the beginning!

C F wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This is a very "newbie" question I'm sure, so this might not be the appropriate forum.
 Maybe it belongs in the Tomcat forum?  Not sure.

>Pretty basic objective.... I just want to be able to put application settings (things
like path names, integer values, etc) in a *.properties file and access those properties from
within my tomcat/struts(1.1) application.  I see quite a bit of talk about ApplicationResources.properties,
but it seems like people are only using that to store and retrieve messages.  I'd rather not
mix my messages with my settings.  How do you do it?  I'm aware of the java.util.properties
class.... but I don't really know how to efficiently use it within the application servlet
context (I don't want to reload it with every request)..... and I wouldn't know when to load
it into application scope.....   anyway, you see that I don't have a clue.  I can think of
plenty of ways to do it, but I would like know the most common/accepted method(s).  So any
tips would be much appreciated :)