struts-user mailing list archives

From jsad...@gpnus.mizuho-cb.com
Subject RE: [42] So you wanna be a REAL programmer, huh?
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:03:27 GMT

Wow! Someone with almost the same history as me.
Except I wrote disk and device I/O for the IBM 3630. Other long-forgotten
exotics in my past:
- PL/S (let you mix 360 Assembler code and macros with PL/1) available on 360
and Series1 (remember him?)
- IBM A/S (A supposed 4GL) I still have not met anyone who knows this. Ran on
370 and used either IMS, VSAM, DB2 data.
-The venerable IDMS environment and IDMS ADSO (this probably doesn't quite
qualify as an exotic, but I think a little more than ADABAS)
- Snobol

And, of course, I'll never forget my time at IBM in the 80s writing code and
macro-generation programs for IMS using.....SGML! I became a fanatic about it
and used to tell everyone how much better is was than sliced toast. No one
listened :-{ back then.

Those were the days.....

"Jerry Jalenak" <Jerry.Jalenak@LABONE.com> on 09/20/2002 09:19:03 AM

cc:    (bcc: Joseph Sadove/DKBDS USA/DKB)

Subject:  RE: [42] So you wanna be a REAL programmer, huh?

Mark - I hadn't seen this tome in some years.  After reading it, I got to
thinking about the past 20 years of my career, and all of the programming
languaes etc. that I've been through.  This will probably date me, but here
goes....

My first programming language exposure was in high school using Basic on a
time-shared HP mid-range - not sure what the OS was.  In college it was on
to IBM Assembler, Fortran, COBOL, and PL/1 - my first 'structured' language.
Even picked up some of the quiche-eaters Pascal.  In college I worked at a
small company writing 8080/8085 assembler programs and burning our own
'PROMS' - talk about low-level programming!  It was kinda cool writing our
own disk I/O drivers (until you screwed up the timings!)  On to the real
world, writing (yes it's true) accounting programs in Fortran for an
aircraft manufacturer (this was before the day of buying a 'real' accounting
package!)  Went from an applications group to a technical support group
maintaining an MVS/SP (successor to OS/370 for those of you who don't know).
Spent the next 15 years down in the bowels of MVS/XA/ESA, VM/XA, VSE/SP,
CICS, etc. etc. writing exits to the OS in assembler, as well as doing
installation, maintainance, etc.  Finally got tried of the late night phone
calls and got into a business support role writing SAS programs.  Managed to
get a job (this one) where I'm finally catching up with all of you in Java
land!!

TGIF!!!

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this transmission in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please immediately notify LabOne at
(800)388-4675.