struts-user mailing list archives

From Jonas Björnerstedt <jo...@bjornerstedt.org>
Subject RE: all this traffic
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:24:03 GMT
Being rather new to the list, I was not familiar with the [OT] convention.
Searching the archives for an explanation of the conventions is a bit
difficult, I get thousands of hits whatever I try. Could someone repost, or
point me in the right direction? Maybe all postings to this list should have
some kind of indication of topic?

My original suggestion was to reduce traffic basically by splitting the
list. The idea should not be all that controversial, after all there are a
lot of Jakarta lists. I subscribe to several. The question is rather if
there is a natural way of splitting the list.

Given that Struts is still beta, I think a struts-beginner list would make
life easier for beginners. I don't think newcomers pose questions out of
laziness. It is easy to get *totally* stuck when starting, especially when
the program is beta. I don't know how many postings I have seen that start
with something like "forgive me for my stupid question...". Let beginners -
like me - speak freely.

Struts tags should be separated into a separate list. Many users like me
have no interest in the Struts tags. I am following the advice of Craig and
"seriously consider(ing) waiting for the ability to use JSF components
instead of the Struts HTML tag library."  Given that the Struts tags are
rather separate, and that there are several alternatives, I think a
struts-tags list is in order. Alternatively, it would be a good idea for
people to put [Tag] in the subject.

I wanted to suggest a "cheap" way to get better Struts documentation. I
realize that having a forum would be nice, and that people could sit down
and submit FAQs. The problem is that it is not going to happen, because it
takes a bit too much effort. The point of having a struts-answers list is
that it requires little effort.

I wonder how many of those who suggest searching the struts-users archive
actually do this themselves. It might be that I am a klutz at searching, but
the sheer volume of hits makes it cumbersome to use.

A struts-answer archive would be a distilled version of the users list. If I
read a mail to the struts-user list that I find instructive, I simply
forward it to the struts-answer list.

A nice thing about the struts-user list is that a question usually prompts
several answers. When a user has received such a response, I think he would
be more than glad to combine these to an answer in the struts-answer list.
It is a way of paying back.

Btw, the link:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/resources/FAQ/index.htm

at