struts-user mailing list archives

From "Malcolm Davis" <malc...@nuearth.com>
Subject RE: Indemnification & copyright
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 02:23:33 GMT
Martin,
Thanks for your insight.  I will do some more research and
then contact ASF.
- Malcolm

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Cooper [mailto:martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 4:37 PM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: Indemnification & copyright

I think the main risk is due to the nature of the patent
process, the
difficulty of patent searches, and the apparent ineptitude
of the US PTO.
It's certainly possible that an Apache committer could
inadvertently violate
a patent, just as any other developer might.

The copyright issue cannot be ruled out, but I think the
risk there is very
minimal. Given that Apache is a meritocracy, the chances of
one of the
committers being dumb enough to commit copyrighted code in
full view of the
community is very small (albeit non-zero).

I would suggest that you contact the ASF directly, rather
than looking at
this from the project level. You can look at the ASF Bylaws
here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html

and the primary contact information is here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/contact.html

--
Martin Cooper

property.
> A developer knowingly or unknowingly contributes a piece
of
> software to the Open Source community that contains
> intellectual property.  I then use that piece of open
source