struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "John Owen" <johnlowen_b...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [42] Real Programmers
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:49:21 GMT
Computer Science at Tulane University was under Engineering. When asked why
we were learning FORTRAN at all in our accelerated first semester
FORTRAN/Pascal class, the professor replied, "You are not an engineer if you
do not know FORTRAN".
----- Original Message -----
From: "Galbreath, Mark" <Galbreath@tessco.com>
To: "Struts (E-mail)" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: [42] Real Programmers


> Heh-heh.  I agree with you, though I started life with a Commie 64 and
> learned BASIC.  My next machine was a Mac 512 and learned C on it and the
> college's Unix system (and I always hated HyperCard).  I actually was
using
> REXX on a Sequoia 6000 and JCL on an IBM 370 before I ever learned how to
> program a DOS/Windows system.  And though I never learned LISP, I did
dabble
> in Scheme for awhile.
>
> I disagree with your opinion of FORTRAN users, however.  The engineers
gave
> the Real Programmers the algorithms, who then coded the app.
>
> Nevertheless, this is a topic that evokes perennial interest on
> struts-users.
>
>
> Mark
> Cogito ergo spud
> (I think, therefore I yam.)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brian Hickey [mailto:bhickey@r-effects.com]
> Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 7:54 AM
>
> Mark,
>
> Re: Struts List et al
>
> Apologies for the off list contact. I read the "So you want to be a real
> programmer" note and I was ROTFL! I should explain that I was writing IBM
> 370/Assembler when that era happened. I did not, however opt for a TRS
80...
> a Real Programmer owned an Osborn computer (CPM was the OS).
>
> I don't know what age you are (none of my business) but I offer that LISP
> actually pre-dates FORTRAN and that FORTRAN was for ENGINEERS not Real
> Programmers. Real Programmers wrote in Assembler and LISP with the
> occasional maverick (me) who wrote in Algol.
>
> I also can confirm that I never spoke in capitol letters... LOL! I have,
> however, acquired this idiotic habit of using emoticons in emails which, I
> presume, imparts some semblance of emotion to an otherwise black and white
> email. Such is life.
>
> Adds:
>     Real programmers don't use Prolog
>     Real programmers do use SmallTalk
>     Real programmers don't use Macs because they could never find the
> correlation between
>         Hypercard editors and the OS (aka - there was no DOS window).
>
> Have a great weekend!
>
> Brian Hickey
>
> Codito ergo sum
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message