struts-user mailing list archives

From "Will Etson" <Will_Et...@pgn.com>
Subject [OT]RE: accessing large/multiple files on hard drive
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:42:22 GMT
Are you trying to access the files from Java or just reference them via html? If you just want
a reference, Tomcat and most other web servers have a notion of a virtual directory. I believe
with tomcat you can set this up with context entry pointing to some  random directory. If
you want to reference the MP3s via Java, I used a property file to indicate the directory
the my mp3s are stored in along with the virtual reference from the new Tomcat Context. This
is essentially the same as having two web applications. One being deployed as an ear and one
as an web application with its document root as a directory reference to the mp3 collection.
The only draw back I found to this is that tomcat treats mime mappings somewhat strangely.
".MP3" and ".mp3" are not equal. ".mp3" returns the right mime mapping and ".MP3" was returned
as an octet string.

P.S. If some one has a better solution I be glad to hear it. I toyed around with the idea
of hijacking the Invoker servlet with a struts action but I didn't feel this was very portable
and the purpose of this app was to demonstrate best practices i.e. portability.

>>> <wbchmura@Ensign-BickfordInd.com> 09/09/02 02:06PM >>>
This has got to be a candidate for the worst, messiest solution ever...

Worse comes to worse, you could have two applications... one that holds
and serves up the mp3 files and the other that does all the other
work...

I'm sure there is a hole a mile wide in this idea...