Ahhhh.... sorry.... I'm not with you at all here.... What do you mean by "used indexed first"? Howard On 21 Sep 2002 at 13:59, Taylor, Jason wrote: > I'd try using indexed first, that monkey stuff is so silly, it can be kind > of frustrating. > > I've done lists of stuff like this before and I initially made the mistake > of over-using nested tags. I found that if you have two or more dimensions > of arbitrary listing then you need nested, but if you have just one you can > use indexed properties. > > -JT > > -----Original Message----- > From: V. Cekvenich [mailto:vicc@users.sourceforge.net] > Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 1:53 PM > To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org > Subject: Re: Nested Indexed Property > > > Then it sounds like you need to read the 4 tutorials on > http://www.keyboardmonkey.com/pilotlight/index.jsp > > V > > Howard Miller wrote: > > The problem is that I don't know the best way to do what I want to do. > > > > Data structure looks like this > > > > Bean A contains Linked List > > List Item 0 > > List Item 1 > > List Item 2 > > .... > > List Item n > > > > Each List Item points to a bean. This bean looks like (for arguments sake > - its more > > complicated than this)... > > > > Bean B.Name > > Bean B.Address > > > > I have a screen that lists the linked lists and invites the user to edit > any of the objects > > in the list - remember they already exist and are populated (read from > database). > > > > So the edit button points (indirectly or otherwise) to the next page which > contains a > > form to edit the data (ie, the bean POINTED TO by the linked list). But > now I have > > problems. > > > > 1. What do I put in the tag and the config xml for that > matter. > > 2. How do I have the fact that the bean already exists > > 3. How do I handle the fact that the bean to use is unknown until run time > > 4. How do I handle the fact that the bean is referenced by an ArrayList > > > > I basically need to edit the contents of a bean that is dynamically > allocated to the form > > at run time. The structure of the bean IS fixed though, so I don't think > I'm talking > > about DynaBeans. > > > > I have thought about (in the action called from the first page) creating a > new bean in > > the request scope just containing the selected bean from the list. This > gets really > > confusing and has issues of its own. > > > > Does this make more sense? I'm really stuck here!!! Any help greatly > appreciated. > > > > Howard > > > > On 21 Sep 2002 at 16:19, V. Cekvenich wrote: > > > > > >>Not sure what your question is: > >>If you want to do multi row displays or multi row displays, I have beans > >>that implement iterator or collection (getRow). > >>If your want to update multiple beans, you can have such beans within a > >>bean. > >> > >>If you have issues with setters, you can unit test them outside of > >>Struts or webapps. > >> > >>If you have issues with parms or attributes, you can debug them my > >>iterating all the attributes/parms for request/session and see what you > >>have. > >> > >>Try going step by step. Test the setter. Test the parms. Test the > >>iteration. (To me, the main attraction of MVC is that you can unit test > >>each component before using it). > >>V. > >> > >> > >>Howard Miller wrote: > >> > >>>Hi, > >>> > >>>Sorry for repeating myself, but I think having read a lot more I can ask > the question > >>>with a bit more "intelligence". > >>> > >>>To set the scene may I quote from the documentation: > >>> > >>>"You may also place a bean instance on your form, and use nested property > > >>>references. For example, you might have a "customer" bean on your Action > >>>Form, and then refer to the property "customer.name" in your JSP view. > This > >>>would correspond to the methods customer.getName() and > >>>customer.setName(string Name) on your customer bean" > >>> > >>>fine... BUT what if name is a property of an object in the LIST customer. > So > >>>(working backwards) I want to create the reference: > >>>customer.get( i ).setName(string Name) (oversimplified I know). > >>> > >>>BUT it gets worse.... the index, i, is actually a property set on the > previous JSP > >>>page... so its more like > >>>customer.get( reqest.getParameter( "index" ) ).setName(string Name ) > >>>...and of course the form action needs to properly read the current > values into > >>>the form text fields and then set them back into the correct place. I > have no > >>>clue how to do this! Any offers? > >>>HM > >> > >> > >> > >> > >>-- > >>To unsubscribe, e-mail: > > >>For additional commands, e-mail: > > >> > >> > > > > > -- > To unsubscribe, e-mail: > > For additional commands, e-mail: > > -- To unsubscribe, e-mail: For additional commands, e-mail: