struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jacob Hookom" <hooko...@uwec.edu>
Subject RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:49:29 GMT
| > I've always thought of a DAO not as an Adapter pattern as what you
are
| > describing, but as an external Table Gateway.  BO interfaces and
even
| > the implementing classes shouldn't need to know how to persist
itself or
| > even what to persist to (XML, DB, IO).  That is up to the
implementing
| > Gateway.
| >

| Adapter Pattern - I was trying to think of the name and couldn't.
Thanks.

|  Looks very cool! Is this available somewhere?

http://www.hookom.net/dao/api
http://www.hookom.net/dao/dao.jar
http://www.hookom.net/dao/conf.zip

I only have the original stuff here, I've made some tweaks as we
implement on the project (a work still in progress).

|  But back to my point - if you were to change over to using an EJB
server,
|  the Action classes would have to change. This short Action class
isn't a
|  big deal, but if you have long, complex forms that require multiple
| updates
|  then there can be an advantage to putting an "Adapter" in front of
the
|  persistence logic.
|
|  The adapter can shorten long Action classes and make them easier to
|  read and maintain. But on the other hand, I guess you do have to
create
|  additional classes to use the adapter pattern, so it's a trade off...

I completely agree, but that point on creating classes is a biggie.
That's why I like to opt for the Gateway that's configurable via xml.

|  I think in the end, I prefer the approach that isolates the Action
class
|  from having to know what kind of persistent store it is using.
|
|  This isn't to take away from the work you've done - it looks great.

Thanks

|  Again, just my views for what they're worth -
|
|  Kevin

Jacob