struts-user mailing list archives

From "Howard Miller" ...@howardmiller.co.uk>
Subject pre-populate nightmare
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:01:32 GMT
Hi,

I have been trying to get a pre-populate thing to work for about two weeks now and
am going crazy.... can somebody sanity check what I am doing. Much appreciated!!

Its a master detail type of thing. I show a list of options a user can edit on one page,
and the details of the item to edit on the next page. As the master list is an array of
beans, the "edit" page form just contains one property of the bean type. So there is
some nesting going on. Anyway the target page is called "builder", so I do this...

On my master page, the user selects one of the things to edit. The link has an id=n
property tacked on, so in the action class for this page I create a new bean for the
following "builder" page, copy the appropriate object from the array, and store the
results in request scope with the name "builderForm". (the array is in a session scope
object BTW)

I now simply forward to "success" which is mapped in struts-config to "builder.jsp".

The form displays with the correct data in it. Happy so far.

I hit submit and I get an exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No bean specified at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.getPropertyDescriptor(Property
Utils.java:816) at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty(BeanUtils.java:846)

it isn't getting as far as the Action class for the builder page as I have set a
breakpoint there.

Stuck (again).... any help appreciated.

HM