struts-user mailing list archives

From "Adolfo Miguelez" <pell...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] WAS Connection Pool
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:09:46 GMT
The point is that WAS pool returns a connection extending IBM classes and
NOT OracleConnection. I use this connection with driver, but THE DRIVER,
despite it gets a Connection argument in one of its methods (I do not
remember which one), IT MAKES A CAST itself to OracleConnection.

As a consequence, all the connections that does implement OracleConnection
(but yes Connection, of course) would throw a ClassCastException. It
happends also with Weblogic as some friend pointed.

I do not know any nice workaround for the moment. The only one, quite ugly,
getting a empty Struct element, fill it and update its data. A Struct
returned by Oracle, is a connected component which connection is actually an
OracleConnection, so it would not throw exception in the driver classes.

It seems that IBM implements their pool in WAS so the connections can not be
used with Oracle connected components. A smart movement to tell you: move to
DB2!!!

>BTW, why do you need to cast to the specific connection type?

DRIVER MAKES THE CAST, despite there is a Connection in the method
interface, but inside the method body, they cast it to OracleConnection. Not
really nice.

Adolfo.