struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "David Graham" <dgraham1...@hotmail.com>
Subject [OT] RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:46:27 GMT
It did come up briefly.  The Jakarta OJB project uses Torque under the 
covers as well.

Dave


>From: Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com
>Reply-To: "Struts Users Mailing List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>To: "Struts Users Mailing List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Subject: RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
>Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:42:34 -0400
>
>
>
>
>btw -
>
>Given all this talk about DAO's etc, I'm wondering why the Torque work from
>the Jakarta Turbine
>project isn't coming up. It's very cool and worth checking out. I've seen
>it used on production
>apps and I know people like it.
>
>       http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/
>
>>From the Torque site:
>
>       Torque is a persistence layer. Torque generates all the database 
>resources required
>       by your application and includes a runtime environment to run the 
>generated classes.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com on 10/04/2002 07:27:35 PM
>
>Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List"
>        <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>To:    "Struts Users Mailing List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>cc:     (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
>Subject:    RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I've always thought of a DAO not as an Adapter pattern as what you are
> > describing, but as an external Table Gateway.  BO interfaces and even
> > the implementing classes shouldn't need to know how to persist itself or
> > even what to persist to (XML, DB, IO).  That is up to the implementing
> > Gateway.
> >
>
>Adapter Pattern - I was trying to think of the name and couldn't. Thanks.
>
> > I think a DAO should just extend the functionality of the business
> > object, IE add configurable methods to persist, modify, select, etc and
> > leave the actual O/R logic up to the database with views, triggers, and
> > stored procedures (I wrote a book on this last time someone posted this
> > same topic).
> >
> > Here's how our open source DAO works:
> >
> > Action.execute(ActionForm loginForm)
> > {
> > DaoBrokerFactory dbf = DaoBrokerFactory.getInstance();
> > DaoBroker daoBroker = dbf.createBroker("conf/dao-config.xml");
> > Method login = daoBroker.createMethod("login",User.class);
> >
> > try
> > {
> > conn = dataSource.getConnection();
> > User actual = (User) daoBroker.selectSingle(loginForm,user,conn);
> > if (actual == null) throw new LoginException();
> > }
> > finally
> > {
>  > SQL.close(conn);
> > }
> > }
>
>
>  Looks very cool! Is this available somewhere?
>
>
>  But back to my point - if you were to change over to using an EJB server,
>  the Action classes would have to change. This short Action class isn't a
>  big deal, but if you have long, complex forms that require multiple
>updates
>  then there can be an advantage to putting an "Adapter" in front of the
>  persistence logic.
>
>  The adapter can shorten long Action classes and make them easier to
>  read and maintain. But on the other hand, I guess you do have to create
>  additional classes to use the adapter pattern, so it's a trade off...
>
>  I think in the end, I prefer the approach that isolates the Action class
>  from having to know what kind of persistent store it is using.
>
>  This isn't to take away from the work you've done - it looks great.
>
>  Again, just my views for what they're worth -
>
>  Kevin
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use
>of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
>information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from
>disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
>any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
>strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
>please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>--
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <
>mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <
>mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use
>of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
>information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from
>disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
>any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
>strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
>please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>--
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
><mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>For additional commands, e-mail: 
><mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>




_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message