struts-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Baref...@motiva.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Container Wars - Resin and sessions
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:57:45 GMT
> Why is having an internal connector better than simply
> creating a JNDI/
> initial context on your own?

Because w/ the internal connector, all EJB calls are in-VM.  With a created JNDI context,
all EJB calls go on the network call stack unless you are using EJB 2.0 local interfaces AFAIK.

>Is the speed that much better?

yes.  esp. on windows machines where the network call stack implementation is not so speedy.

>It's not
> really too hard to simple set your jndi.properties directly
> and connect
> that way.
> Not trying to put your decision down, just wondering if I've
> missed something...
>
> Seems like choosing the best container would outweigh this
> connectivity
> issue...

Not if choosing the "best" container results in a substantially slower application....which
is very possible when the EJB calls start "bottle-necking" on the call stack during high traffic...with
low traffic, you probably wouldn't notice a difference.