struts-user mailing list archives

From "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Baref...@motiva.com>
Subject RE: Should I use a persistence layer?
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2002 19:46:14 GMT
> If they have 2 windows open they're likely to be in 2
> different sessions.

Not 'likely', only possibly.  Most users are familiar with the "new window" concept, which
in most browsers (IE for sure) retains the current session.  A user will quickly realize it
is faster to do a new window than having to open the browser again, go to the app. log in,
etc.  Frequent users often have multiple windows open that are part of the same session.
Navigating search results in both of them is less likely though. :)

> Besides, how often do you think your users will do this?

Good point.

> don't know of
> any persistence layer that solves this "problem".

There's certainly not an out-of-the-box solution for this available.  However, your UI framework
and persistence layer can work in combination;  the UI only retains results that are currently
viewable, and goes back to the persistence layer to fetch for each pagination link.  This
means, of course, that you have to retain all search and sort criteria as well as the indices
of the result set you are viewing in the UI layer so the information can be transmitted.