struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Baref...@motiva.com>
Subject RE: [OT] RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:32:09 GMT
Yes, but it doesn't use it "..under the covers" in any way, the implications of that are quite
different.  OJB uses torque as a tool, just as another client application would.  It is in
no way dependent on torque for its core functionality.

Does Tomcat uses Xerces "under the covers" when it uses it to parse configuration files?

peace,
Joe

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Graham [mailto:dgraham1980@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 7:17 PM
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: [OT] RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
> 
> 
> Regardless, it uses torque.
> 
> 
> >From: "Joe Barefoot" <Joe.Barefoot@motiva.com>
> >Reply-To: "Struts Users Mailing List" 
> <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> >To: "Struts Users Mailing List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> >Subject: RE: [OT] RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
> >Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:55:37 -0700
> >
> >No, it doesn't, not for any of the persistence mechanisms or runtime 
> >operations at least.  The only thing that OJB uses Torque 
> for is generating 
> >a database schema from an XML mapping file.  Everthing else 
> is built from 
> >the ground up.  It's very likely that Turbine will replace 
> Torque with OJB 
> >at some point in the future, according to one of the OJB 
> developers 'round 
> >here.
> >
> >peace,
> >Joe
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: David Graham [mailto:dgraham1980@hotmail.com]
> > > Sent: Friday, October 04, 2002 4:46 PM
> > > To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > > Subject: [OT] RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
> > >
> > >
> > > It did come up briefly.  The Jakarta OJB project uses Torque
> > > under the
> > > covers as well.
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > >
> > > >From: Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com
> > > >Reply-To: "Struts Users Mailing List"
> > > <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >To: "Struts Users Mailing List" <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >Subject: RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
> > > >Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:42:34 -0400
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >btw -
> > > >
> > > >Given all this talk about DAO's etc, I'm wondering why the
> > > Torque work from
> > > >the Jakarta Turbine
> > > >project isn't coming up. It's very cool and worth checking
> > > out. I've seen
> > > >it used on production
> > > >apps and I know people like it.
> > > >
> > > >       http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/
> > > >
> > > >From the Torque site:
> > > >
> > > >       Torque is a persistence layer. Torque generates all
> > > the database
> > > >resources required
> > > >       by your application and includes a runtime
> > > environment to run the
> > > >generated classes.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >Kevin.Bedell@sunlife.com on 10/04/2002 07:27:35 PM
> > > >
> > > >Please respond to "Struts Users Mailing List"
> > > >        <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >
> > > >To:    "Struts Users Mailing List" 
> <struts-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >cc:     (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
> > > >Subject:    RE: Persistence Framework Comparison?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > I've always thought of a DAO not as an Adapter pattern as
> > > what you are
> > > > > describing, but as an external Table Gateway.  BO
> > > interfaces and even
> > > > > the implementing classes shouldn't need to know how to
> > > persist itself or
> > > > > even what to persist to (XML, DB, IO).  That is up to the
> > > implementing
> > > > > Gateway.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >Adapter Pattern - I was trying to think of the name and
> > > couldn't. Thanks.
> > > >
> > > > > I think a DAO should just extend the functionality of 
> the business
> > > > > object, IE add configurable methods to persist, modify,
> > > select, etc and
> > > > > leave the actual O/R logic up to the database with views,
> > > triggers, and
> > > > > stored procedures (I wrote a book on this last time
> > > someone posted this
> > > > > same topic).
> > > > >
> > > > > Here's how our open source DAO works:
> > > > >
> > > > > Action.execute(ActionForm loginForm)
> > > > > {
> > > > > DaoBrokerFactory dbf = DaoBrokerFactory.getInstance();
> > > > > DaoBroker daoBroker = dbf.createBroker("conf/dao-config.xml");
> > > > > Method login = daoBroker.createMethod("login",User.class);
> > > > >
> > > > > try
> > > > > {
> > > > > conn = dataSource.getConnection();
> > > > > User actual = (User) 
> daoBroker.selectSingle(loginForm,user,conn);
> > > > > if (actual == null) throw new LoginException();
> > > > > }
> > > > > finally
> > > > > {
> > > >  > SQL.close(conn);
> > > > > }
> > > > > }
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >  Looks very cool! Is this available somewhere?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >  But back to my point - if you were to change over to using
> > > an EJB server,
> > > >  the Action classes would have to change. This short Action
> > > class isn't a
> > > >  big deal, but if you have long, complex forms that 
> require multiple
> > > >updates
> > > >  then there can be an advantage to putting an "Adapter" in
> > > front of the
> > > >  persistence logic.
> > > >
> > > >  The adapter can shorten long Action classes and make 
> them easier to
> > > >  read and maintain. But on the other hand, I guess you do
> > > have to create
> > > >  additional classes to use the adapter pattern, so it's a
> > > trade off...
> > > >
> > > >  I think in the end, I prefer the approach that isolates
> > > the Action class
> > > >  from having to know what kind of persistent store it is using.
> > > >
> > > >  This isn't to take away from the work you've done - it 
> looks great.
> > > >
> > > >  Again, just my views for what they're worth -
> > > >
> > > >  Kevin
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >-------------------------------------------------------------
> > > --------------
> > > >This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is
> > > intended for the use
> > > >of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and 
> may contain
> > > >information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential
> > > and exempt from
> > > >disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> > > notified that
> > > >any dissemination, distribution or copying of this 
> communication is
> > > >strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
> > > communication in error,
> > > >please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message 
> immediately.
> > > >-------------------------------------------------------------
> > > --------------
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >--
> > > >To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <
> > > >mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >For additional commands, e-mail: <
> > > >mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >-------------------------------------------------------------
> > > --------------
> > > >This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is
> > > intended for the use
> > > >of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and 
> may contain
> > > >information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential
> > > and exempt from
> > > >disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> > > notified that
> > > >any dissemination, distribution or copying of this 
> communication is
> > > >strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
> > > communication in error,
> > > >please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message 
> immediately.
> > > >-------------------------------------------------------------
> > > --------------
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >--
> > > >To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > > ><mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > >For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > ><mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > _________________________________________________________________
> > > Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
> > > http://www.hotmail.com
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > >
> >
> >--
> >To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
> ><mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> >For additional commands, e-mail: 
> ><mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _________________________________________________________________
> Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
> http://www.hotmail.com
> 
> 
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:   
<mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:struts-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message